PDA

View Full Version : How big a squad?

ToffeePhil
20-11-2011, 02:13 AM
In my second season with money rich/heritage poor Vitesse in Holland, have two good players for each position and with European football back in Arnhem they all get a run out.

Yet everyone is unhappy! I have four players on half-baked promises of first team football just to keep them quiet.

Do other people have this issue? and if not how big a squad do you opt for?

Pokerface
20-11-2011, 02:29 AM
I've got 21 players at the moment. A little trim, but a large selection of my players are versatile when it comes to playing position. This ensures pretty much everybody gets at least ten starts. I rotate in the early rounds of the cup, when facing the goat herders of the league, and when qualification is already secured.

I've had one or two moaners in my career. They all insisted on first team football despite only signing rotation contracts. It never stops by the way, so your better off selling and replacing ideally with professional characters.

Five Time
20-11-2011, 02:53 AM
I've only got 18 proper first team players at the moment, but I try and always have a youth player for each position that's ready to step in if needed.

I'm not one to justify rotating unless I really have to, so any more than that and I struggle to keep everyone happy.

ToffeePhil
20-11-2011, 03:02 AM
Thanks both, i'm probably keeping too big a squad going by those numbers. And I may have misled some of these youngsters squad status wise now i think about it...

Eazy-Duz-It
20-11-2011, 08:04 AM
2 for each position, so 22, supplemented by 3-4 good young players that primarily turn out for the reserves.

CsAtlantis
20-11-2011, 08:14 AM
2 players for each position, plus any extra youngsters than I are good enough to do a job for the first team, around 30 I suppose (I like to have one extra central midfielder and one additional center back in addition to the 22)

NickT
20-11-2011, 12:36 PM
First team wise I think 25 is a good number, two for every position plus an extra few allows a fair bit of flexibility, but I think you can manage less if your players are flexible. Your fourth choice central defender wont be seen much anyway, if your cover for the full backs and a midfielder can play in the middle too they become pretty much pointless.

I think how willing to change your formation matters as well though, not quite so important to be covered everywhere if you're happy to play with one up front rather than two or whatever.

Also, I think how many people play in each position matters. If you play with three in central defense, three in midfield and one up front, you are much more likely to need your second striker than your sixth defender or midfielder to the extent that I'd reccomend a third striker over the sixth choice players, maybe just ensuring that someone can play in both midfield and defense if you want that extra cover.

Waffelz
20-11-2011, 01:01 PM
2 for each position, so 22, supplemented by 3-4 good young players that primarily turn out for the reserves.

This for me :thbup:

Ratchet
20-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Pretty much what Waffelz said. I try to think of it like an international squad going to a major tournament.

3 GKS
8 Defenders
8 Midfielders
4 Strikers

As it's a club game you could get away with more in each department (other than in goal), but make sure you know what the squad restrictions are!

MadBert
20-11-2011, 02:15 PM
I always aim for 2 in each position, then maybe 1-2 extra's in key positions or for cover injury prone players. Really don't like the squad to be over 24 players at the very most.

Hammers93
20-11-2011, 02:55 PM
3 Goalkeepers
4 Full Backs
4 Centre Backs
4 Wingers
4/5 Central based midfielders
4 Strikers

So a squad of about 23 I like.

InterSpurs
24-11-2011, 08:17 AM
I like to have two for each position, key positions like GK, I like to have three. If I have a really good GK then I can have a new back up each season as they have to be just has as my 1st choice & they soon get fed up. 3rd choice is either a hot prospect or a experienced veteran.

If playing with a DMC, then again three is a must, the rest just two. I like my backup players to be more utility like, e.g. FBs & Wingers that can play both sides, CMs that also can play wings etc....