PDA

View Full Version : Setting up your scouts

Nick
31-01-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm getting to that stage in a save where you're allowed a few more scouts than when you initially took over and was wondering how other people set them up?

Note: For a more general look at scouting, check out Bruce's guide that can be found on the main site:
http://www.thedugout.net/content/articles/item,64,99,1,A_Guide_to_Scouting_:_Part_1.html

At the moment, I am allowed 11 scouts and have them set up like so:

Scout 1: United States, Mexico, Canada
Scout 2: Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Colombia, Peru, Paraguay, Bolivia, Ecuador, Venezuela.
Scout 3: Egypt, Algeria, Tunisia
Scout 4: Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Ghana
Scout 5: South Africa, Cameroon, Senegal
Scout 6: Oceania
Scout 7: England, Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales
Scout 8: France, Spain, Portugal
Scout 9: Germany, Netherlands, Austria
Scout 10: Italy, Greece, Turkey
Scout 11: World

I think I have all of the major places covered, but can't help I'm missing out on players produced over the whole of Asia and large parts of Europe.

Obviously, manual scouting will take place all over the shop to help cover the places the scouts miss.

How many scouts do you have? Where are they scouting?

Tommo
31-01-2012, 05:13 PM
I have one question, Nick. What's the difference of sending scout 2 to all those countries instead of just sending him to the region of South America?

Nick
31-01-2012, 05:15 PM
I have one question, Nick. What's the difference of sending scout 2 to all those countries instead of just sending him to the region of South America?

They scout the countries in the order I pick them, not the order they choose.

I always feel like they scout the country in a more thorough way if you send them to the nations individually, but have no proof of this.

I scout regions like Oceania instead of each country individually because there are less players there and they are less likely to miss a star.

Reiver
31-01-2012, 05:25 PM
<your scout 9 could easily also do Switzerland.

TinyTall554
31-01-2012, 05:31 PM
I have 6 scouts on my palace save.

I could have another two, but good scouts are hard to sign and keep on 400p/w

1 U.K and Ireland
2 Mexico/MLS
3 international cup/South africa
4 u18 England/world
5 Europe
6 Next oppenent

The_Dizzster
31-01-2012, 05:41 PM
I don't really have a set structure, but usually I try and cover the main areas. All areas of Africa except Eastern Africa, two for South America and usually one on North America. Then the rest dotted around Europe, but I should really have a structure.

Nick
31-01-2012, 05:54 PM
<your scout 9 could easily also do Switzerland.

Indeed he could. Added.

I don't really have a set structure, but usually I try and cover the main areas. All areas of Africa except Eastern Africa, two for South America and usually one on North America. Then the rest dotted around Europe, but I should really have a structure.

I have to have a structure. I even used to write them down and think them over at work. :cool:

I think it's important for a smaller club to have a structure. At one of the bigger clubs, you can afford to splash money on already developed players. at the smaller clubs, it pays to have scouts looking for players that can come in for small fees, small wages and develop. Africa is a frickin' gold mine for players like that.

Pokerface
31-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Asia is such a black hole for talent. I like Dizz have no structure, but pretty much have the world covered. Algeria, Tunisia and SA have been added to my list.

I'd heavily recommend Croatia and Czech republic. :thbup:

Nick
31-01-2012, 06:29 PM
I went to the board an asked if I could have a few more scouts. They obliged. I can have 15 now, so I'll look at plugging a few holes (starting with Croatia and Czech Rep, thanks Poker).

Bulfin
31-01-2012, 07:12 PM
I've got 23 but I've no idea how to set them up, so I just sent one to each region. If it can be proved that they're better off being assigned to individual countries then I'll do that, but I'm not sure how that could be done.

The_Dizzster
31-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Set several up now to try and see if it brings any better players to my attention. All but 2 scouts are Belgian- the foreign scouts being from Uruguay and Chad. Nobody else that was foreign would come :(

I've got my little monkeys scouting Scandinavia, Western Africa, Central Europe, Central Africa, South America, Southern Europe, Eastern Europe, North America, North Africa and Southern Africa.

All are instructed to scout players between 15-23 to try and get in some young players with potential. I'll report back with my findings :cool:

ragerod
31-01-2012, 10:26 PM
I always feel like they scout the country in a more thorough way if you send them to the nations individually, but have no proof of this.

I have the same feeling and most of mine scout nations rather than regions. They also avoid the pointless countries that would be searched if doing so by regions.

I'd heavily recommend Croatia and Czech republic. :thbup:

Add Ukraine to those and they are really good places to scout.

Pretecf
31-01-2012, 11:39 PM
In my Colchester save I had plenty of scouts and plenty of young talent so I tested my own theory on region vs nation.

My regional scout was 15/19 (Alan Miller) while my nation scout was 16/19 (Humphrey Rudge). They were assigned to South America, one to each country, one to the entire region. Both were given instructions of age at most 21, determination at least 10, potential at least 4 stars. In 9 months, Rudge was done with 9 names, Miller had 3. Miller's 3 were included in Rudge's 9 and I have not utilized regional scouts since then.

I utilize the alphabetical list of countries starting one scout at each end of the alpha continuing to add one more until a year has passed when I start them over. If they are not complete at that point, I add a scout with the rest of the alpha list.

Yeah, I am kinda anal about it all...

andrewjames128
31-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Whenever I send one of my scouts to an individual country they are back near enough the following day or so with just a few players scouted?

Lara
01-02-2012, 12:26 AM
Whenever I send one of my scouts to an individual country they are back near enough the following day or so with just a few players scouted?

It's most likely because that scout already has full scouting knowledge of the certain nation you sent him to.

andrewjames128
01-02-2012, 12:52 AM
It's most likely because that scout already has full scouting knowledge of the certain nation you sent him to.

Thanks for the reply, but when I say that they return pretty quick I mean near enough the same day take Stephane Pauwels he has full Knowledge of France I just sent him to scout France for anyone under 21 he came back with just 3 players. If I was to send him to scout Central Europe when he moves onto France he will stay there for weeks reporting back a shit load of players?

Playerslacker
09-02-2012, 02:49 PM
i tend to set them all up scouting a certain area .. like central europe , scandanavia ect and have each 1 scout 1 competition in there area . iv had one scouting asia in every versuion of the game exept this and they have never turned up any players worth a shit so im not even bothering . might be worth scouting turkey with more than 1 scout though as on my game there starting to produce a shit load of top notch regens

Coyote of the Sea
13-02-2012, 08:49 AM
I usually just have them scouting the regions. Usually I take most of Europe, and the Americas, Middle East, Southern Africa, and Western Africa. After that it is just filling in gaps, in terms of scout by scout:

Best Scout-Opposition, as well as individual players
2nd best scout-Central Europe
3rd best scout-South America
4th best-UK and Ireland
5th best-Eastern Europe
6th-Southern Europe
7th-Scandinavia
8th-Central America
9th-Middle East

and then the rest just wherever. Granted those get switched around quite a bit, as I don't have it written down or anything. But the first 4 scouts are always the same every game. Obviously it will depend on the team, but with bigger teams that is how i set up (a smaller team I'd probably look towards areas with cheaper players i.e. Ukraine, Scandinavia, South America, Africa, etc.)