The Dugout Football Manager Community

Go Back   The Dugout Football Manager Community > The World Around > The Third Half

Notices

Old 17-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Harold Flair
International
TD Member

Managing: Arsenal
Season: 1
Division: Prem
Position: 1
Star Player: Titus Bramble
Harold Flair is a name known to allHarold Flair is a name known to allHarold Flair is a name known to allHarold Flair is a name known to allHarold Flair is a name known to allHarold Flair is a name known to allHarold Flair is a name known to allHarold Flair is a name known to allHarold Flair is a name known to all

Default Daniel Johnston

How is it that this retard has a status as some kind of genius? Those who have seen The Devil And Daniel Johnston will know exactly what I mean. He can't sing, has terrible timing, his lyrics are those of a 13 year old, at best, and he can't play his instrument properly. I want answers. Evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICLXH8wdXhk
Old 17-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Jimmy Floyd
Chortling fox hunter
Super-Moderator

Jimmy Floyd has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Floyd has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Floyd has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Floyd has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Floyd has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Floyd has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Floyd has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Floyd has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Floyd has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Floyd has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy Floyd has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Best Football Contributor TTH Awards: Best Football Contributor TTH Awards: Best Staff Member 
Total Awards: 3

Never heard of him, but in that video he has a bit of genuine passion and a bit of a style of his own, which are quite rare these days.

'Genius' if used in its proper sense is a bit much, though.
Old 17-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
AJ
Fear the Cisse!
TD Member

AJ is a jewel in the roughAJ is a jewel in the roughAJ is a jewel in the rough

Never heard of him but he sounds like me when I'm drunk.
Old 17-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
John
Omnishambles!
Administrator

Managing: Rangers
Season: 16/17
Division: Scotch Premier
Star Player: Leonardo Capezz
John has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Who calls him a genius?

I've heard that word used in connection to him once, and it was some prat saying he has 'all the hallmarks of the archetypcal troubled genius', because he's a bit mental and depressed.
John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
FrancisWalsh
Buttmunch
TD Member

FrancisWalsh has much to be proud ofFrancisWalsh has much to be proud ofFrancisWalsh has much to be proud ofFrancisWalsh has much to be proud ofFrancisWalsh has much to be proud ofFrancisWalsh has much to be proud ofFrancisWalsh has much to be proud ofFrancisWalsh has much to be proud ofFrancisWalsh has much to be proud ofFrancisWalsh has much to be proud ofFrancisWalsh has much to be proud of

That is fucking woeful.
FrancisWalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Toby
Good Friends With Physio
TD Member

Toby has a reputation beyond reputeToby has a reputation beyond reputeToby has a reputation beyond reputeToby has a reputation beyond reputeToby has a reputation beyond reputeToby has a reputation beyond reputeToby has a reputation beyond reputeToby has a reputation beyond reputeToby has a reputation beyond reputeToby has a reputation beyond reputeToby has a reputation beyond repute

I too had never heard of him, so I'd question who exactly it is lauding him as talented.
Toby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
James
No, you.
TD Member

James is a name known to allJames is a name known to allJames is a name known to allJames is a name known to allJames is a name known to allJames is a name known to allJames is a name known to allJames is a name known to allJames is a name known to all

He's evocative. He's a mentalist whose issues bleed into his music. It's all completely genuine and I like that. That's not to say a good portion of his recordings aren't unlistenable to.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
Harold Flair
International
TD Member

Harold Flair is a name known to allHarold Flair is a name known to allHarold Flair is a name known to allHarold Flair is a name known to allHarold Flair is a name known to allHarold Flair is a name known to allHarold Flair is a name known to allHarold Flair is a name known to allHarold Flair is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Who calls him a genius?

I've heard that word used in connection to him once, and it was some prat saying he has 'all the hallmarks of the archetypcal troubled genius', because he's a bit mental and depressed.
Watch The Devil And Daniel Johnston. Some people compare him to Dylan, for fucks sake.
Old 17-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
Raoul Duke
DEATH TO THE WEIRD
TD Member

Raoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud of

Musician with mental problems, endorsed by Kurt Cobain, overcomes them to release music.

Cult hero, innit.
Old 17-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
Randomlegend
Due For Testimonial
TD Member

Randomlegend has much to be proud ofRandomlegend has much to be proud ofRandomlegend has much to be proud ofRandomlegend has much to be proud ofRandomlegend has much to be proud ofRandomlegend has much to be proud ofRandomlegend has much to be proud ofRandomlegend has much to be proud ofRandomlegend has much to be proud ofRandomlegend has much to be proud ofRandomlegend has much to be proud of

There really is nothing that suggests any kind of talent in that video.
Randomlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
John
Omnishambles!
Administrator

John has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Bishop View Post
Watch The Devil And Daniel Johnston. Some people compare him to Dylan, for fucks sake.
In a documentary specifically about him, presumably conceived and made by people who like him, of course he's going to be looked upon favourably.
Old 17-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
Harold Flair
International
TD Member

Quote:
In a documentary specifically about him, presumably conceived and made by people who like him, of course he's going to be looked upon favourably.
First and foremost it is a good documentary and very interesting. But yes it is obviously in his favour.

Try this from The Guardian, who are on my side for once:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musi...aniel-johnston
Old 17-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
Harold Flair
International
TD Member

I like his art, though

This is him now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxQPeC_yr-M

Last edited by Harold Flair; 17-04-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Harold Flair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
Raoul Duke
DEATH TO THE WEIRD
TD Member

Raoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud ofRaoul Duke has much to be proud of

This is a great cover by Headless Heroes (Alela Diane on vocals):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGW73w3jpkc
Old 17-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
Harold Flair
International
TD Member

I probably shouldn't have posted that song as it's the only one I don't mind.
Old 17-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
Fundi tsotsi
Squad Rotation
TD Member

Fundi tsotsi is a splendid one to beholdFundi tsotsi is a splendid one to behold

Never heard of him.

He seems shit though.

"There's one player all professionals aspire to be half as good as. Me and Ronaldo used to spend hours analysing footage of Aaron's play to try and copy his technique. Absolute legend, up there with Pele"
Fundi tsotsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
Harold Flair
International
TD Member

He's been compared to Brian Wilson a lot (wrongly, of course). I thought more people would know of him, especially after the documentary (which I thought was popular ).

By the way, nearly all his songs are about a girl he's been obsessed with since he was a teenager.
Old 17-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #18
Serpent Gazeux
GS, not SG
TD Member

Serpent Gazeux has a reputation beyond reputeSerpent Gazeux has a reputation beyond reputeSerpent Gazeux has a reputation beyond reputeSerpent Gazeux has a reputation beyond reputeSerpent Gazeux has a reputation beyond reputeSerpent Gazeux has a reputation beyond reputeSerpent Gazeux has a reputation beyond reputeSerpent Gazeux has a reputation beyond reputeSerpent Gazeux has a reputation beyond reputeSerpent Gazeux has a reputation beyond reputeSerpent Gazeux has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Best Debate Contributor 
Total Awards: 1

Likewise have never heard of him. As Harold's denunciation of him suits the narrative I'd decided to adopt prior to entering the thread, I'm hereby prepared to repeat it to any and everyone as truth.
Serpent Gazeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
John
Omnishambles!
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Bishop View Post
By the way, nearly all his songs are about a girl he's been obsessed with since he was a teenager.
Because, as I understand from the few articles I'd read prior to that Guardian one, he's a manic depressive schizophrenic with bi-polar disorder.

He's disabled, basically.
Old 17-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #20
Harold Flair
International
TD Member

Quote:
Because, as I understand from the few articles I'd read prior to that Guardian one, he's a manic depressive schizophrenic with bi-polar disorder.

He's disabled, basically.
Yes but he's written thousands of songs, apparently. Even for a nutter that's pretty obsessive. Still, an interesting story.
Old 17-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #21
Smiff
International
TD Member

Smiff is a name known to allSmiff is a name known to allSmiff is a name known to allSmiff is a name known to allSmiff is a name known to allSmiff is a name known to allSmiff is a name known to allSmiff is a name known to allSmiff is a name known to allSmiff is a name known to all

*enters thread*

*leaves thread even quicker*

Spoiler:

First song wasn't too bad.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pen View Post
£20 bet between me and smiffy for the race to a trophy (league, fa-cup, europa or ucl). Smiffy has liverpool, i have united.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
i'll have £50 with you that united finish above liverpool next season?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiff View Post
smiff - balotelli to score less than 20 in all competition.

Taz - balotelli to score 20 or more in all competition.

£20 bet. £1 extra for every goal over/under 20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizmarlo View Post
£44 with smiff that liverpool will finish outside the top four.

Smiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #22
ItalAussie
Space Janitor
Administrator

ItalAussie is a name known to allItalAussie is a name known to allItalAussie is a name known to allItalAussie is a name known to allItalAussie is a name known to allItalAussie is a name known to allItalAussie is a name known to allItalAussie is a name known to allItalAussie is a name known to allItalAussie is a name known to all

So moaning about stuff is the new puns?

+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
ItalAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #23
Harold Flair
International
TD Member

Are you moaning about it?
Old 17-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #24
ItalAussie
Space Janitor
Administrator

ItalAussie is a name known to allItalAussie is a name known to allItalAussie is a name known to allItalAussie is a name known to allItalAussie is a name known to allItalAussie is a name known to allItalAussie is a name known to allItalAussie is a name known to allItalAussie is a name known to allItalAussie is a name known to all

You're such a bore.

+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
ItalAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #25
OscarTheGrouch
"I love trash!"
TD Member

OscarTheGrouch is infamous around these partsOscarTheGrouch is infamous around these parts

He's some kind of idiot savant, but no need to call him a "retard" Harry, especially seeing as he could smear a turn on a wall and that will have contributed more to society and culture than your entire life as a whole.

Spoiler:
Superliga x 2
Danish Cup x 2
Super Cup x 3
Royal League x 1
OscarTheGrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #26
Shindig
Got Milk?
TD Member

Managing: Spurs
Season: 2016-2017
Division: Premiership
Star Player: Giani Pazzini
Shindig has much to be proud ofShindig has much to be proud ofShindig has much to be proud ofShindig has much to be proud ofShindig has much to be proud ofShindig has much to be proud ofShindig has much to be proud ofShindig has much to be proud ofShindig has much to be proud ofShindig has much to be proud ofShindig has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Special Achievement Award 2012 
Total Awards: 1

I like how he nearly crashed that plane during one of his episodes. He's basically in the same league is this late legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36lzxfEW6Mk
Shindig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #27
zink
Top Notch Talent
TD Member

zink is a glorious beacon of lightzink is a glorious beacon of lightzink is a glorious beacon of lightzink is a glorious beacon of lightzink is a glorious beacon of lightzink is a glorious beacon of light

i have casper the friendly ghost on the soundtrack to the movie, kids. it's kinda :meep:

but yeah, he can't really sing.
zink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #28
Snapman
Squad Rotation
TD Member

Snapman is a name known to allSnapman is a name known to allSnapman is a name known to allSnapman is a name known to allSnapman is a name known to allSnapman is a name known to allSnapman is a name known to all

As far as outsider music goes he's okay, I guess. Got nothing on Jandek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5hJ8LFMCbI
Old 18-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #29
The Merse
Due For Testimonial
TD Member

Managing: Cork City
Season: 2022
Division: L of I
Star Player: Wayne Rooney
The Merse is a name known to allThe Merse is a name known to allThe Merse is a name known to allThe Merse is a name known to allThe Merse is a name known to allThe Merse is a name known to allThe Merse is a name known to allThe Merse is a name known to all

I've been a fan for a long time, 'Beatles' and 'Fish' are both incredible songs and benefit from his slightly shambolic, simplistic and naÔve stylings.
The Merse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #30
Number_25
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
TD Member

Managing: A.S. Roma
Season: 2040/41
Division: Serie A TIM
Position: 2
Star Player: Tom van Gils
Number_25 is on a distinguished road

There was a lad on here who posted a .rar on one of the music threads about 7 years ago.

Misk or something.

Two headed boy or something was on it.

That was a superb performance.

The Dugout Football Manager Community > The World Around > The Third Half