The Dugout Football Manager Community

Go Back   The Dugout Football Manager Community > All FM/CM Games > General Discussion > Football Manager 2008

Notices

Old 20-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
shane_man
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Managing: At. Madrid
Season: 2022-2023
Division: Primera Liga
Position: 9
Star Player: Jon Carmona
shane_man is on a distinguished road

Default Arsenal

Yeah... So Im a Liverpool supporter but I decided to start a game with Arsenal and found that the tactic I made for them didnt totally suck ass...

First season is completed... And heres a rundown of what happened...

As you can see... We started off the season reasonably well... Culminating in a hardfought 5-3 win against Manchester United... This was followed by three piss poor showings against Valencia and Newcastle and ending with Arsenal being dumped out of the League Cup by Preston. Due to my good win against United the fans thought the early exit out of the League Cup was abysmal but the United win still kept me in good stead and I was among the front runners for the Premiership at the time... We followed this up with a real purple patch of form... two 5-1 thumpings and barring a few random defeats. We kept a really steady ship trying to compete for the title.

That early horror loss to Blackburn didnt effect the teams confidence and we seemed to bounce back well. But I personally feel that that loss was the reason we didnt win the Premiership. Back on track afterwards and we were playing some marvellous football... Unfortunately when the Champions League returned... We sort of lost our way. Playing a relatively small squad of highly talented individuals started to take its toll. And a few injuries along with African Cup committments took Adebayor, Eboue and a midfielder out of actions(cant remember exactly who) but we marched on. Lost those few P'Ship games but put in a 1-0 victory over Madrid at home and went to the Bernabeu and won 2-1... Got revenge on Sunderland after being beaten by them in the Premiership with a big win in the FA Cup. 3 losses in a row immediately preceeding the Champions League QuarterFinals derailed our Premiership season... We really couldnt find the back of the net at that point despite our very swank attacking unit. And we were low on confidence coming into the first leg tie against Barcelona... But we picked up and came away with a 2-0 victory at the Nou Camp...

Ehh... Knocked out of the FA Cup final... Everton does us in for the second time in three weeks. Low on form AGAIN we take on Barcelona and in arguably the game of the season we go into halftime with a 2-0 lead. By the 57th minute... The score is 3-2 Barcelona... And everytime the highlights come on its a Barca goal. Changes need to be made... On comes Senderos and Hleb and we pull the score back to 3-3, Barcelona scores again to take a 4-3 lead and bring on the most tense last 25 minutes to a game this season... The game is of course wrapped up in the 83rd minute by Theo Walcott scoring his only hat trick this season... 4-4 and a 6-4 aggregate sees us through. A draw following the Champions League Heroics against Chelski practically rules us out of the title race(unless they mistep)... So all hands to the Champions League semi Finals(of note is that it was an all English Champions League by the semi finals Arsenal v Man U on one side of the draw... Liverpool v Chelski on the other) A 1-1 draw at home puts pressure on us to win at the Theatre of dreams... Meanwhile with 2 games remaining Eboue gives the team an inspirational "lets play our hearts out message" to give us the best possible chance to still win the premiership. Despite not losing a game until the final round. It isnt enough as Chelski have the title by the 37th game. Back to the second leg against United and after going up 1-0 before the half... Man U pulled it back in the second before a late strike before Fulltime gave United no chance to get through and Arsenal were through to there second ever Champions League final in 3 years...(second in history too)... Against Chelski... An Adebayor strike and Jens Lehman having a heroic game at GK gave Arsenal there first Champions League victory EVER... And ended the season on a high note...

Overall I think we played well for significant patches but because of the thinness of the squad... We lost a fair few games when injuries and International Committments took there toll.

Transfers

There's actually a story to that obscene transfer fee for Mancini... After creating a tactic specifically for this Arsenal team. I knew I had the players to go into the season. I didnt really need to make any signings as I had two for each position(roughly... Sue me Im like Rafa)... I had a few early inquiries for Tomas Rosicky. Having looked at his worth I made the decision that if I could get roughly 22 Million for him. I would take it. So I told the teams asking what I wanted and was thusly rejected... I also made the decision that I could deal a deathly blow to United and improve my team immeasurably if i somehow secured the services of Christiano Ronaldo. A $68,000,000 offer rejected and I gave up... But with three days left in the transfer window... There was again suspected interest from Sevilla for Rosicky... They inquired and I gave them the 22,000,000 mark to which they responded almost INSTANTLY. So here I am three days until the transfer window closes and I now NEED to replace Rosicky... I scoured the market for a player to play on the wing and move the ball forward into the box... And Mancini's name sprung up. I knew it was going to cost me a mint to get this transfer through in the space of 3 days... So 28,000,000 up front and 12,000,000 after playing 50 games and we get the transfer through just in the nick of time and to a rousing reception from the Arsenal faithful... Got a 9,500,000 offer for Clichy and decided that was too good to pass up(45% sell on clause too)... Realised that despite Traore not really being as good as Clichy... My defence sucked anyway and Traore needs to be starting sooner rather then later. Went to the transfer list though to sign some insurance in the form of Moha... Also copped an offer for Flamini who was wasting away in the reserves and I tried to offload Aluminia to Middlesbrough on a 2,000,000 deal but he didnt like there wage offer... So a loan until the end of the season will have to do... Other then that. Nothing significant happened transfer wise.

League Table

Also the tactic I used for this season...
Attached Files
File Type: tac 5-4-1 Arsenal (Arsenal, Jul 2007).tac (994 Bytes, 233 views)

Last edited by shane_man; 20-10-2007 at 07:18 PM.
shane_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
diljeet
International
TD Member

Managing: Colchester
Season: 2014/15
Division: Prem
Position: 6
Star Player: Revy Rosalia
diljeet is a name known to alldiljeet is a name known to alldiljeet is a name known to alldiljeet is a name known to alldiljeet is a name known to alldiljeet is a name known to alldiljeet is a name known to all

I finished 2nd with Arsenal - 81 points, i scored just buying Marcelo and Mertresacker also a kid saivet AMLRFC
diljeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
shane_man
Hot Prospect
TD Member

1/3 of the way through the second season and we have started the season like an absolute bat out of hell...

As you can see we went on a pretty long undefeated streak early in the season... A recent loss to Wigan broke it up but we bounced back well with our latest win...

Lulinha has been a revelation... Hes come in and made an immediate impact. I think the front three treble of Fabregas, Lulinha and Vela will be great for years to come. Sorin was brought in because LB was a particularly weak area of the team at the start of the year and it couldnt hurt to bring someone in who so Traore wasnt playing every game

Eboue was sold because Sagna started practically the whole season last year and Eboue was getting shitty sitting on the bench. 9.25 mill seemed like a good deal. Now Senderos I have never rated and he simply COULD NOT stay fit last season... Again 8 million seemed a good price and if i needed a backup defender. I had Djorou returning from loan for this season.

Bendtner played a fair few games last season but with Vela coming back from his loan. I decided I needed to see what he could do... I put Nikki on the loan list and only accepted offers which guaranteed that he would be apart of there first team setup.

Hoyte I just offered out under the same setup. If he returns from his loan at the end of this year and looks like he can compete with Sagna for that RB spot. I might keep him round.

As you can see... Im keeping a reasonably big squad around the farm now. I am trying to loan out a few players... But may have to wait until January to get a bite.

If anyone wishes to see any players or any of that jazz... Give me a bell.
Old 22-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
shane_man
Hot Prospect
TD Member

2/3 of the way through the season and it is shaping up to be a big year for the Gunners... Right after we returned to action from the 1/3 break... Our results slowed down but again... Picked up later on... And right now we are sitting pretty clear at the top of the P'Ship...

A few FA Cup replays will take its toll on the teams fitness. Especially considering the players I have sent out on loan. Might be forced to bring a few back early... The big problem is the loss to Sevilla in the first Knockout Round of the Champions League... Hopefully Fortress Emirates will bring us a 2 goal win... And move us onto the next leg

As you can see... I decided to make a few changes during the transfer window. That young German defender had a $1,00,000 bid accepted from Real Madrid so i decided to get in on that... Hes the one who was dumb as a fencepost but hopefully with a few years of tutelage he might be oxlike... I also sent out my reserves side on loan. We were coming sixth in the Reserve League so why keep them there. Better to send them to my newly affiliated club Crystal Palace and help them with there promotion chances.

I started to get a few bids for Marc Randall... And I wasnt really happy about letting him go. But didnt want to keep him at the club when he wasnt a shot at making the first team within three years anyway. So i decided to accept the offer from Palace that way I am guaranteed of first option anyway...

And finally... As you can see we have cut down the first team squad by a few places... Hopefully it doesnt impact us severely even despite the fact that we are still quite alive in the FA Cup, Champions League and need to maintain pressure in the P'ship...

Anyways... Onwards and upwards.
Old 24-10-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
Costy750
Requires Strengthening
TD Member

Managing: Wolves
Season: 07-08
Division: CH
Star Player: Gaizka Mendieta
Costy750 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just reached January 1st season (how do you buggers go through seasons so quickly?) and I'm top, but in a bit of a rut form wise. I'm scraping through games and it's just lucky I'm playing the bottom half at the moment.

Pretty nice table there, I've beaten United and Liverpool at home and lost to Chelsea away. I've only bought Luka Modric (godlike performances justify this) and Mickey Owen. Owen hasn't performed nearly as well as I'd hoped and Adebayor is still sulking about it. I'm playing a very attacking 4-5-1 basically with 4 AMFs and am generally leaving him out these days. Jens Lehmann can't get a game due to the outstanding form of Manuel Almunia and I've qualified for the knockoutstages of the CL with full points. Out of the LC at R4 wasn't great though.

I'm going to be looking at GKs over this and the next transfer windows. Lehmann is getting on and I've had a few offers for him. Fabianski's inexperienced and I don't trust Almunia's stats. Sunderland are categorically going down so I may have a go for Craig Gordon but any suggestions would be welcome.

Is Fabianski any good?
Costy750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #6
shane_man
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costy750
Is Fabianski any good?
Fabs has now fully displaced Lehman in my second season... I started giving him the easier matches last year(as you can tell by the amount of games he started...) He was still second choice this season but now with the season only 8 games from completion he is my Numero Uno... And As you can tell. We are not letting in as many goals as we did last year. And we havent really bought in any defensive improvements since last year.

How do you not play Adebayor. As a lone striker in my formation. He never stops putting the ball in the net. A far cry from his FM07 version...
Old 24-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
Costy750
Requires Strengthening
TD Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
How do you not play Adebayor. As a lone striker in my formation. He never stops putting the ball in the net. A far cry from his FM07 version...
Exactly how I play him and he's knocking them in for fun. I'm not playing Owen who is now my biggest flop ever. I never buy big names but I went on FM07 evidence of Adebayor and was proved wrong. RVP hasn't played up top since the 3rd game of the season and he's still my top scorer from AMC/L. RVP has 16 goals, Ade has 15 and Fabregas has 8. If one of the big two gets injured I'm fucked.

I've just lost to West Ham after a taxing December so I'm going to rest both of them against Crewe. Chelsea at home next week could prove a big game. Win and they're out of the race pretty much.
Old 24-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #8
jason_glenn3
The Next Kanchelskis
TD Member

Managing: Wycombe
Season: 2010/2011
Division: League 2
Position: 5
Star Player: A. Pryor
jason_glenn3 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys... Im following this thread with some interest - Not necessarily because I wanna go Arsenal but I like the use of your many screenshots.

Threads always seem more informative when there are screenshots and not just a 1000 word essay at the end of each season. (For example - FM07 Spanish Thread was pouring down with them for a while)

Subsequently - Im liking the look of your seasons and when my game finally arrives I may even consider joining this thread.

P.S Costy - where did you get your logos from? Do you have the kits aswell??

Achievements:

Spoiler:

Manager Rep: National

2010/2011 - Wycombe Wanderers (League 2 - Ongoing)
jason_glenn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #9
Costy750
Requires Strengthening
TD Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_glenn3 View Post
P.S Costy - where did you get your logos from? Do you have the kits aswell??
Try Sourtitoutsi, I think that's where I got mine from. You'll have to register but they have pretty much all the logo packs done already. I've only bothered downloading Premiership and Bundesleiga ones. I've got facepacks as well, but I couldn't find any kitpacks for FM08. They may be up now but I'm not overly fussed tbh.
Old 24-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #10
shane_man
Hot Prospect
TD Member

The 08-09 Season has come to a close...So with more results then you can poke a stick at... I return to deliver all sorts of juicy info...

First things first... FORM. After that Sevilla game. We came back with a win and some back and forth results(luckily I had done all the hard work in the P'ship at the start of the season)We went on a semi win streak after getting knocked out of the FA Cup in the 6th round by Chelski...(Very dissapointing)... But we backed up well in the Champions League and wiped the floor with Bayern Munich which set up the Champions League Final rematch against Chelski from last season... Same result... Different scorer but we run out TWO TIME Champions League Winners... The 0-0 draw against Birmingham also secured the P'Ship with four games remaining...

As you can see... We maintained our 10 point lead from the 2/3 point onwards and only really gave games away after the title was secured and we were looking to the CL Final... Though we honestly went for broke in the last week trying to knock up 90 points... Alas we werent good enough on the day(Game also sealed Jens Lehman's fate)

Now with that out of the way... Here is the full squad of players who got gametime in a meaningful game this year in an Arsenal jersey(only one thing of note... Song played like 3 games for Arsenal. Most of those appearances came at Palace where he was on loan.)

And finally all the awards we won in the P'Ship for this season(I also got manager of the year)... Will update when Champions League awards come out...

Old 24-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #11
shane_man
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Champions League Awards
Old 05-11-2007, 05:29 AM   #12
allcaps
Promising Youngster
TD Member

allcaps is on a distinguished road

nice read here. i decided to try an arsenal campaign, and after getting sacked twice, ive decided to not try and liquidate certain players.

im using your tactics, and i like them. they work really well.

just reached the trade deadline, and instead of madly selling players, i sat back and actually didnt sell any.

tomi ameobi is an experiment. his stats are pretty decent, but he gets 1 star. im going to try and see if with the proper training he can develop into a decent player that i can sell for money later.

also signed for next year:

and at the end of the first, undefeated month, adebayor has 8 goals, 1 assist, 2 MoM, and 7.67 rating, in 4 games. somehow he didnt get player of the month.
allcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #13
LUFC 4 Life
Trialist
TD Member

Managing: Arsenal
Season: 07/08
Division: Premiership
Position: 1
Star Player: Adrian Mutu
LUFC 4 Life is on a distinguished road

im about 1/3 way through my first season with the gooners, my second team of choice due to the brilliant style of football IRL. everyone knows the squad is already immense. whacked the transfer budget up to £46 mill, sold adebayor (can be doing with a "15 guy") and brought in adrian mutu. what a signing, best player in the team, although cesc a close second and spent some other money on youth - menez, saivet, dalla valle, aaritalo, le tallec, breno, alex, wijnaldum, lulinha etc

Also, for the first time in my FM life, i decided to play a slow passing game rather than my usual quick direct to a target man and play off him. it has worked well and i am unbeaten in the league after 14 games ( W12 D2 L0 )with best attack and best defence, champion league lost one game against roma away but should still qualify. all round really enjoyin this game and with all the quality youth can see it going a lot further

NOTE - will post screenies up tomorrow as cant be bothered reloading

Jermaine Beckford is God
LUFC 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:01 PM   #14
Haz
TD's Favourite Ginger
TD Member

Haz has disabled reputation

As usual, I've been managing Arsenal. I'm currently in January of my first season, since I've short on free time at the minute.

Playing a short passing 442 as you'd expect with the talent available. The squad needs little alteration and most of my business has been outward - Real Madrid courted Rosicky for most of the summer before signing him for £17m, and he was joined on the way out by Abou Diaby (£5m, Sevilla) and Alex Song (£2.5m, Newcastle). Would have liked to have kept Diaby but he wasn't really going to be playing a lot.

Selling Rosicky meant we were short on a left winger, so I picked up Juanfran from Osasuna for £6.75m, and Iago from Barca for £5m. I'm also retraining Armand Traore to play left wing if need be.

We're currently sat 3rd in the league but have a game in the hand over United and Chelsea above us, and can go top if we win it. Most impressive players so far have been Adebayor, Eduardo and Bendtner who have all scored more than I had anticipated.

Easily qualified from our Champion's League group, in the League Cup Semis and beat Brighton 4-0 in the FA Cup 3rd round. Season looks promising, especially as we're unbeaten so far.
Haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:05 AM   #15
shane_man
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Sorry I havent updated this in a while. The PC with the save game has turned into a puddle of shit... I have a save game on the laptop but its actually a few months before the end of the second or third season...

I do know that I had started my latest season SHOCKINGLY bad... Cant pinpoint the loss of form exactly.

allcaps... Could you show me what your defensive stats are like for the team. Because although my attack normally is immense. I couldnt defend anything.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #16
Julian
Decent Youngster
TD Member

Managing: Everton
Season: 14/15
Division: Premier League
Position: 2
Star Player: Andy Shaw
Julian is on a distinguished road

started a new arsenal game after being fired after 28 games because i lost to chelsea, even though i was 7 points clear!
Old 12-11-2007, 11:50 PM   #17
wolfben
Promising Youngster
TD Member

Managing: Notts County
Season: 2011/12
Position: 4
Star Player: Jozy Altidore
wolfben is on a distinguished road

Arsenal are piss easy to manage. You dont even need to bring anyone in. How anyone can struggle with this team I do not know.

Up until 2011 I was managing Notts County, got them in PL and Arsenal offered me a contract mid-season. Ive accepted, accepted ridiculous offers (35 mil for Denilson - 30 mil for Walcott) and bought in ( Naldo 9 mil - Van Der Vaart - 15mil - Ochoa - 9 mil - Okaka free - Bojan Free) Its all too easy.

Wellington Phoenix Silverware:

New Zealandian Challange ! Join us !
http://www.thedugout.tv/community/sh....php?p=1843847
wolfben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 02:35 AM   #18
Queenslander
Johnny's left boot
TD Member

Queenslander will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfben View Post
Arsenal are piss easy to manage. You dont even need to bring anyone in. How anyone can struggle with this team I do not know.

Up until 2011 I was managing Notts County, got them in PL and Arsenal offered me a contract mid-season. Ive accepted, accepted ridiculous offers (35 mil for Denilson - 30 mil for Walcott) and bought in ( Naldo 9 mil - Van Der Vaart - 15mil - Ochoa - 9 mil - Okaka free - Bojan Free) Its all too easy.

I agree. Anyone asking for help with the gunners should have the game taken off them.
Queenslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 12:15 PM   #19
Haz
TD's Favourite Ginger
TD Member

After February we're still 2 points off the lead, but with that game in hand. And, we're still undefeated - don't think we'll manage to go the whole season though, as we've had a few scares because of injuries to most of the defence.

Won the League Cup, beating Liverpool in the final, and we've got Schalke in the First KO Round of the Champion's League. Swindon gave us a minor scare in the FA Cup, taking the lead, before we rolled them over.

I'm taking a break from Arsenal now as I was only doing it to ease myself into this version of FM. Will come back to it at a later date.
Old 16-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #20
Mazuuurk
International
TD Member

Mazuuurk is a name known to allMazuuurk is a name known to allMazuuurk is a name known to allMazuuurk is a name known to allMazuuurk is a name known to allMazuuurk is a name known to allMazuuurk is a name known to allMazuuurk is a name known to all

Sorry for this excessive writing but I'm at work and havent got my game available. Read it if you can be arsed.... I'll try to follow up with screenies of my future achievments.

On every FM version that comes out I always start my first game with Arsenal before normally moving on to Pompey (who I do support) and beyond.
I'm quite enjoying being Wengers successor though at the moment (how couldn't you...? The man has built an entire squad of wonderkids..) so I figured I'd join this thread to share some. I'm currently in my third season so I'll do a short summary:

First season I got Marcelo and Belluschi as I wanted faster wingers for my 4-4-2 i play. Bad start but eventually won the league after solving my scroing problems in january by desperately offloading Rosicky and Adebayor and some dead wood for peanut money to be able to activate Sergio Agueros release clause.

He did the trick for me and after a very strong spring I managed to win the league, but got knocked out the CL and other competitions

Second season was about fitting in all the various players returning from loans here and there . Decided I'd give bendtner a shot and loaned eduardo (who by then was listed already), vela, djourou, walcott and song.
sold eboue and got daniel alves who I rotate with Sagna, and in January pulled off an expensive move to sign David Silva. Even though Bendtner was lethal and scored nearly 40 that season i only won the FA-cup. Knocked out the semis of the CL and finished 2nd in the league after a superb chelski side

I have just started the third season and Aguero and Bendtner are doing the job for me, allthough I do dominate games and sometimes still fail to win I have started well anyway. RVP wants a new challange which is a pity but still he's only 3rd choice after Bentner aguero and vela (I'm drooling over my fellow swede at Inter but understandably they won't let him go for all the money in the world...). Question is what will be with Walcott when he returns from his current Blackburn loan..

Current 1st line-up is:
----------------------------C.Gordon-----------------------------
-------------Alves----Toure----Djourou----Clichy------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
--Beluschi/Quaresma---Cesc/Merida---L.Cana/Song---Silva/Marcelo
-------------------Aguero-----Bendtner/Vela----------------------

Remarquably I had at one point 10 Wonderkids in my squad:
Vela, Wallcott, Djourou, Breno, Marcelo, Aguero, Song, Denilson, Fabregas and Bentner. Later Traore became one as well before I sold him to Barca, where he btw got a salary of 94k. Not bad for a 19-year-old kid!

More to come, if my adventures are remotely interesting to fellow Arsenal managers.
Mazuuurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 10:46 PM   #21
shane_man
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazuuurk View Post
Sorry for this excessive writing but I'm at work and havent got my game available. Read it if you can be arsed.... I'll try to follow up with screenies of my future achievments.

On every FM version that comes out I always start my first game with Arsenal before normally moving on to Pompey (who I do support) and beyond.
I'm quite enjoying being Wengers successor though at the moment (how couldn't you...? The man has built an entire squad of wonderkids..) so I figured I'd join this thread to share some. I'm currently in my third season so I'll do a short summary:

First season I got Marcelo and Belluschi as I wanted faster wingers for my 4-4-2 i play. Bad start but eventually won the league after solving my scroing problems in january by desperately offloading Rosicky and Adebayor and some dead wood for peanut money to be able to activate Sergio Agueros release clause.

He did the trick for me and after a very strong spring I managed to win the league, but got knocked out the CL and other competitions

Second season was about fitting in all the various players returning from loans here and there . Decided I'd give bendtner a shot and loaned eduardo (who by then was listed already), vela, djourou, walcott and song.
sold eboue and got daniel alves who I rotate with Sagna, and in January pulled off an expensive move to sign David Silva. Even though Bendtner was lethal and scored nearly 40 that season i only won the FA-cup. Knocked out the semis of the CL and finished 2nd in the league after a superb chelski side

I have just started the third season and Aguero and Bendtner are doing the job for me, allthough I do dominate games and sometimes still fail to win I have started well anyway. RVP wants a new challange which is a pity but still he's only 3rd choice after Bentner aguero and vela (I'm drooling over my fellow swede at Inter but understandably they won't let him go for all the money in the world...). Question is what will be with Walcott when he returns from his current Blackburn loan..

Current 1st line-up is:
----------------------------C.Gordon-----------------------------
-------------Alves----Toure----Djourou----Clichy------------------
--Beluschi/Quaresma---Cesc/Merida---L.Cana/Song---Silva/Marcelo
-------------------Aguero-----Bendtner/Vela----------------------

Remarquably I had at one point 10 Wonderkids in my squad:
Vela, Wallcott, Djourou, Breno, Marcelo, Aguero, Song, Denilson, Fabregas and Bentner. Later Traore became one as well before I sold him to Barca, where he btw got a salary of 94k. Not bad for a 19-year-old kid!

More to come, if my adventures are remotely interesting to fellow Arsenal managers.
Always interested in reading...

Surprised that you couldnt get any business with Adabayor. He was as I said earlier absolutely heroic in front of goal for me.

Do you mind If I ask what Bendtner's personal settings are in game?
Old 23-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #22
Mazuuurk
International
TD Member

Mazuuurk is a name known to allMazuuurk is a name known to allMazuuurk is a name known to allMazuuurk is a name known to allMazuuurk is a name known to allMazuuurk is a name known to allMazuuurk is a name known to allMazuuurk is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
Always interested in reading...

Surprised that you couldnt get any business with Adabayor. He was as I said earlier absolutely heroic in front of goal for me.

Do you mind If I ask what Bendtner's personal settings are in game?

I'm not sure but I think I might just not have had gotten the hand on the tactical bit before I sold him off. Allthough I didn't change anything when I brought Aguero in, but I suppose Adebayor and RVP was a bit too similar.

Bendtner instructions:

As you can see I have basically everything set to normal or middle and just let him figure out the rest =) I also play Vela in this position sometimes.
Old 26-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #23
Track Monkey
Rolling Contract
TD Member

Track Monkey is on a distinguished road

I’ve just completed my first season where I won the League, the FA Cup and the League Cup. I lost in the CL quarter finals to Seville, but overall a very successful season.

Signingswise I brought in Van der Vaart, who was pretty poor; Maxi Rodriguez, who was reasonably good; Huntelaar who was excellent; and Mudingayi who was very decent. I only sold a few fringe players: Almunia, Hoyte, Flamini and most of my money for my purchase came from adjusting my wage budget downwards.

In terms of the players that were already there, Sagna was the best and most consistant. Lehmann was surprisingly good but I’m looking to replace him because he’’s getting on a bit. I’ve had a £17.5m bid accepted for Akinfeev but I’m loathe to spend that much on a goalkeeper. My other main transfer targets are Gyan Asamoah and the Chilean winger at Villareal whose name escapes me. Any experiences people have had with those three would be appreciated before I splash out. I might look to strengthen the leftback position as well, but so far I haven’t found anyone better than Clichy that is available for a reasonable price.

I’ll need to move on a couple of players to keep my squad size down however, but I haven’t decided who thus far. I might shift Rosicky and/or van Persie (too injury prone) and maybe Adebayor (too hot and cold). I think I will sell Diarra too come to think of it because he can’t really get in the team. Ditto for Bendtnar.
Track Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 02:41 AM   #24
shane_man
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Monkey View Post
Iíve just completed my first season where I won the League, the FA Cup and the League Cup. I lost in the CL quarter finals to Seville, but overall a very successful season.

Signingswise I brought in Van der Vaart, who was pretty poor; Maxi Rodriguez, who was reasonably good; Huntelaar who was excellent; and Mudingayi who was very decent. I only sold a few fringe players: Almunia, Hoyte, Flamini and most of my money for my purchase came from adjusting my wage budget downwards.

In terms of the players that were already there, Sagna was the best and most consistant. Lehmann was surprisingly good but Iím looking to replace him because heíís getting on a bit. Iíve had a £17.5m bid accepted for Akinfeev but Iím loathe to spend that much on a goalkeeper. My other main transfer targets are Gyan Asamoah and the Chilean winger at Villareal whose name escapes me. Any experiences people have had with those three would be appreciated before I splash out. I might look to strengthen the leftback position as well, but so far I havenít found anyone better than Clichy that is available for a reasonable price.
Matias Fernandez I assume... Playing for Villarreal still in my game and we are into the third season(or fourth... Either way.) He hasnt been very impressive... 6.50 was his best season ranking and that was in the first season.

Gyan Asamoah looks like a terrific purchase. Hasnt averaged less then 7.3 a season...

Clichy is a really good Left Back and If I had my time over again, I wouldnt have sold him to Roma. Though since I have... Traore has come on in leaps and bounds and I brought in Sorin(expensively) to cover for him and provide experience.

Quote:
Iíll need to move on a couple of players to keep my squad size down however, but I havenít decided who thus far. I might shift Rosicky and/or van Persie (too injury prone) and maybe Adebayor (too hot and cold). I think I will sell Diarra too come to think of it because he canít really get in the team. Ditto for Bendtnar.
You probably want to keep Bendtnar. But because of the squad cant play him. So look to loan him out every season to teams that have great training facilities. That was hes always improving and chances are that hes going to get playing time.

Surprised you cant get Adebayor to fire. He just never stops scoring for me.

Diarra can leave(depending on what formation you have, you could probably send another midfielder out too)...

And as you know I sold Rosicky in the first transfer window...

You should also be looking at what you are going to do with Djorou(whos loan finished at the end of the first season) and Norvedt... Both of whom are better then Senderos imo...

P.S My update is coming. Just recently got the PC fixed...
Old 28-11-2007, 07:53 AM   #25
Mazuuurk
International
TD Member

TrackMonkey --> Do definately keep hold of Bentner, he has scored 79 goals for me in 2 seasons now (I loaned him out the first season).

Generally with Arsenal i would advice you not to sell anyone under 22 years for the first few years. You should be getting enough transfer money from ordinairy income and you have so much good youth seling them off early is just a waste of money IMO. Loan them all out instead.

I wouldn't spend 17m on Akinfeev unless it's the only option. Check out Ustari and Agliari (spelling?) from Palermo first and see if you can get them for less, in that case - do that. I got Craig Gordon for some 7 or 10m or so after the first season and he has been solid enough for me.

Now to my own campaign

I've just finished the third season by walking through the league with giant steps, thrashing all opposition without mercy. However Milan knocked me out of the Champions League,in the semis again

This seasons highlight was undoubtly, however, the spontaneous january purchase of Cristiano Ronaldo from Man U for the outrageous price of £76m (Fergie rejected of course, chairman didn't...) With a good team there is no point in buying rotation players i figured, so instead of buying for 10 and 15m here and there why not sign someone for the sum it in which case eventually adds up that can really improve my team?

Oh and it was all worth it. Team formely having been able to mark Silva out of games now seem to have to do so on the expense of letting Ronaldo rule on the right, and vice-versa

Other than that I invested cheaply (IMO) in Andrea Pirlo (5m) who was listed at milan by request. He's 30 and I didn't need him but I like the player type and to be fair he scored a couple of free kicks and produced a couple of assists as well.

Player of the year is a tough call. Bendtner was amazing again scoring 39 goals, with Vela and Aguero not far behind however with a 35 and 33 respectively

But I will in the end probably give my personal little figurative award to David Silva who made 25 assists and scored 8 goals himself (his average rating escapes me here at work were I write my little essays). Fabregas was of course selected world player of the year but he just hasn't delivered the way my front 3 and Silva has, even though he allways plays well and concistent.

Now the only thing that stands between me and silly season is the FA-cup final against Man U.

Transfer targets in the summer are due to my now excessive transfer budget of exactly £0 few. I am however eyeballing Tevez who is leaving Man U for free, as well as VdV and Bojan, but I doubt the latter will come. Gallas probably won't sign a new contract with me so maybe I will need a 4th backup defender. Other than that either Denilson or Song will probably have to go, the former not having developed the way I would have wanted him to (Shaneman what's he like for you?). I'm also bringing in some 17yr-old brazilian left-back regen that I have already paid for to start rotating with Clichy in the meantime.

My first eleven now is:

--------------------C. Gordon---------------------
D.Alves------Djourou----------Toure---------Clichy
--------------------------------------------------
C.Ronaldo----Fabregas-----Pirlo/Cana/Song----Silva
---------------Aguero/Vela----Bentner------------

Primal rotation subjects are:
Marcelo (Clichy, Silva)
Quaresma (Ronaldo), who was by the way unfairly replaced as first choice on the right but hey thats the life of a professional
Sagna (Alves)
Breno (Djourou, Toure)
Belluschi (all midfield)

More to come.

Last edited by Mazuuurk; 28-11-2007 at 08:01 AM.
Old 28-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #26
Track Monkey
Rolling Contract
TD Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll send Bendtner out on loan again this season. As for the other young guys mentioned above, Norvedt seems a bit lacking in pace. I'm giving him a lot of aerobic training, but he's only up to 10 for pace and acceleration if I remember correctly. I think Diarra can go permenantly, but I'll loan out the likes of Denilson (who is starting to look good) and Vela again.

I'll look into alternative keepers; Ochoa looks ok so I might go for him. I think Lehmann might be good for another season so there isn't too much rush.

Will keep you updated.
Old 28-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #27
shane_man
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Quote:
TrackMonkey --> Do definately keep hold of Bentner, he has scored 79 goals for me in 2 seasons now (I loaned him out the first season).

Generally with Arsenal i would advice you not to sell anyone under 22 years for the first few years. You should be getting enough transfer money from ordinairy income and you have so much good youth seling them off early is just a waste of money IMO. Loan them all out instead.

I wouldn't spend 17m on Akinfeev unless it's the only option. Check out Ustari and Agliari (spelling?) from Palermo first and see if you can get them for less, in that case - do that. I got Craig Gordon for some 7 or 10m or so after the first season and he has been solid enough for me.

Now to my own campaign

I've just finished the third season by walking through the league with giant steps, thrashing all opposition without mercy. However Milan knocked me out of the Champions League,in the semis again

This seasons highlight was undoubtly, however, the spontaneous january purchase of Cristiano Ronaldo from Man U for the outrageous price of £76m (Fergie rejected of course, chairman didn't...) With a good team there is no point in buying rotation players i figured, so instead of buying for 10 and 15m here and there why not sign someone for the sum it in which case eventually adds up that can really improve my team?

Oh and it was all worth it. Team formely having been able to mark Silva out of games now seem to have to do so on the expense of letting Ronaldo rule on the right, and vice-versa

Other than that I invested cheaply (IMO) in Andrea Pirlo (5m) who was listed at milan by request. He's 30 and I didn't need him but I like the player type and to be fair he scored a couple of free kicks and produced a couple of assists as well.

Player of the year is a tough call. Bendtner was amazing again scoring 39 goals, with Vela and Aguero not far behind however with a 35 and 33 respectively

But I will in the end probably give my personal little figurative award to David Silva who made 25 assists and scored 8 goals himself (his average rating escapes me here at work were I write my little essays). Fabregas was of course selected world player of the year but he just hasn't delivered the way my front 3 and Silva has, even though he allways plays well and concistent.

Now the only thing that stands between me and silly season is the FA-cup final against Man U.

Transfer targets in the summer are due to my now excessive transfer budget of exactly £0 few. I am however eyeballing Tevez who is leaving Man U for free, as well as VdV and Bojan, but I doubt the latter will come. Gallas probably won't sign a new contract with me so maybe I will need a 4th backup defender. Other than that either Denilson or Song will probably have to go, the former not having developed the way I would have wanted him to (Shaneman what's he like for you?). I'm also bringing in some 17yr-old brazilian left-back regen that I have already paid for to start rotating with Clichy in the meantime.

My first eleven now is:

--------------------C. Gordon---------------------
D.Alves------Djourou----------Toure---------Clichy
C.Ronaldo----Fabregas-----Pirlo/Cana/Song----Silva
---------------Aguero/Vela----Bentner------------

Primal rotation subjects are:
Marcelo (Clichy, Silva)
Quaresma (Ronaldo), who was by the way unfairly replaced as first choice on the right but hey thats the life of a professional
Sagna (Alves)
Breno (Djourou, Toure)
Belluschi (all midfield)

More to come.
Nothing more then a backup in case... Gilberto, Denilson or Diarra(yeah I kept him but thats because he also backs up at RB) I might have actually sold Song in the last window. Might check it out in the next hour or so...

In a purple patch of form in my own game... Got a return Semi Final showdown with Chelski at Stamford Bridge to get ready for...
Old 03-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #28
Mazuuurk
International
TD Member

Ended up winning the FA-cup as well. Nice little treble there with the League cup, FA and the Premiership

Still have to win the CL though before I may eventually move on to new FM challanges.

I'm now in the transfer window and feel like buying. Need a backup DC with a future as Gallas went away. Tried Mamadou Sakho but he went to man u instead

I have tons of midfielders but only really Fabregas who is class. Second best (performance-wise) is Song which feels as not enough. Looking to offload one or two and maybe I'll buy Veloso for 15m (release clause ) as he could also back up DC...

Trying to get rid of Walcott who is pacy but nothing else and probably merida, but I might just send him away for another year of loan to see if he will develop further (he was at sevilla last term and seem to have played but hasn't improved much...)
Old 06-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #29
shane_man
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Sorry for the delay...

2009-2010 Season

As you can see... We started off the season terribly in the P'Ship... One win and 4 draws... 7 points from a possible 15 and we are already 8 off the pace. A loss to Chelski in the Charity Shield didnt help matters either... A 1-1 Draw in regulation in the Super Cup(and eventual loss on Penalties really hurt the early part of my season)... This is a team notorious for a slow start but who usually performs in Cups... I wasnt looking forward to my preseason claim of winning the domestic cups in England. A big opening win in the first game of the group stage seemed to right the ship. We went on to dispatch Man Utd quite easily a few days later... But as the whole point of my early season was based around inconsistant form... We couldnt find the ability to string a few wins together... And the P'Ship was gone before December...

The trip to Japan and winning the World Club Challenge sparked a 9 game WIN STREAK... We finally found a little consistancy and we seemed to be progressing towards the first goal of the season(League Cup)... After the loss to Everton... We again went on an Undefeated streak which ended in utter failure against Newcastle United in the League Cup final. Couldnt stop Owen, Barton or Giles Barnes(Who has deadset turned into a fucking superhero... I shit you not)

Dominating Liverpool twice in the space of two weeks really gave this team life... But also happened to put us into a Semi Final showdown in the FA Cup against Norwich(Man U v Chelski in the other Semi Final)... A good showing against Palermo moved us into the CL Final... A win against Norwich put us into the FA Cup final... Now to concentrate on salvaging what was left of the P'Ship season. We had slipped too far behind Chelski... But Newcastle was in front of us by a catchable margin. We were 5 behind with 1 game in hand(Newcastle one game left before the season was over... Us... 2)... Newcastle also had a 10 GD cushion to rely on... Our final two games were relatively easy games... So I put it on the boys to put as much pressure on Newcastle as possible... a 4-0 victory against Fulham put us in a position to win by 6 against Portsmouth and hope Newcastle do no better then a draw... Or we win and Newcastle lose... If Newcastle win... We are screwed. Anyways... Better to at least attempt our part as much as possible... A big first half lead of 4-0 seemed to put us in prime position but a late goal by John Utaka really hurt to finish the half... A second half goal each and it didnt matter in the end as Newcastle found the strength to overcome P'Ship champions Chelsea on the last day(bastards) I even tried to give all the Chelski players a headswell before the game... But alas. Not good enough.

Onwards and upwards to the Cup finals... A tight game against United was opened up late as we went 3-1 ahead and killed it off... Followed a week later with a tense 2-1 victory over Ajax... led by Freddy Adu.

All in all not the most successful season as I was really aiming to retain the P'Ship... But a Domestic Cup and a third successive Champions League triumph isnt such a bad second place...

Transfers

So I gave Aleksander Hleb the boot this season... He was giving me the shits and causing friction in the squad(friction that still hasnt ceased and is going to cause me to lose another player before the start of next season... So I brought in Marek Sapara... AMC from Blackburn(originally Rosenberg through Man City)... And I made an offer for Daniel Fattori from AC Milan. I figured with Sorin still at the club and Traore sort of hitting a wall... I could sign another young DL and maybe get him to learn a few tricks from Sorin... Sold Merida on the cheap... He wasnt going to do anything for my squad so I sold him off. And I had to get rid of Lehman who if he was anything like his real life counterpart. I assume he would have chucked a hissy fit and broken up team harmony sitting on the bench for another season...

League Table

Squad

Whats truly misleading about that is Vela scored 7 of those goals in the final two games in the P'Ship... But still a great output from my 1st choice front three...

Awards

Old 06-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #30
shane_man
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Old 10-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #31
Mazuuurk
International
TD Member

Good to get a little update. I'm now in the 4th season and not doing too bad at all . Signed De Rossi from Roma for 40m which now gives me the amazing midfield of him, Cesc, C. Ronaldo and David Silva, the latter being the only one without a 'World-class'-tag

I'm on a 25 match unbeaten run which is allways nice. But to be honest I have by this time such a good squad that my tactics probably doesn't even matter anymore....
Old 10-12-2007, 03:02 PM   #32
kickasskiz
Trialist
TD Member

kickasskiz is on a distinguished road

I have decided to start an Arsenal Team myself - Currently in my 2nd season and after only winning the the Carling Cup i had a lot to do this season.

First off sold a few players.

RVP - £30,000,000
Diaby - £8,000,000
Rocky - £18,000,000
Flam - £6,000,000
SOng - £5,000,000
Sagna - £10,000,000 (relucently to the Spuds)

and some others - so in Preseason i had a heafty spending budget.

Boro went down so i got Downing for £6.5 and he has been amazing. I then open the cheque book twice to 2 massive funds. Both Berbatov and Alves got me over £40,000,000 each!! But oh how they have repaid me already, along with Adrinano (signed him in the first season) i have now played 23 games conceded 9 scored 47 and am sitting top nicely. In the final of the Carling Cup again and progressing fien throught all other tournies

Starting to like this!

oh and Vela is amazing so i am going to Sell Aratillo as Newscastle just offered me £12,000,000 plus 20% sell as well
kickasskiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #33
Mazuuurk
International
TD Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickasskiz View Post
Both Berbatov and Alves got me over £40,000,000 each!!
Welcome to the Dugout mate.

Pains me to say though but man you were ripped off! I think I signed Alves for 18m or so, maybe it was in the figures of 25 but still!

And Berbatov I would never have spent 40m on either as you likely got to pay about 15-20 of those just because he was at spurs. As you're obviously doing well though I'm sure you're not complaining

But I say no more:
Spoiler:
BENDTNER
Old 17-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #34
Browning
Indispensable To The Club
TD Member

Managing: MK Dons
Season: 15/16
Star Player: Jordan Spence
Browning has much to be proud ofBrowning has much to be proud ofBrowning has much to be proud ofBrowning has much to be proud ofBrowning has much to be proud ofBrowning has much to be proud ofBrowning has much to be proud ofBrowning has much to be proud ofBrowning has much to be proud ofBrowning has much to be proud ofBrowning has much to be proud of

Playing with Arsenal... about 1/3rd of the way through and top by 4 points. Only 2 signings, Akinfeev and Aguero, sold Gilberto and Diaby to fund them.
Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #35
shane_man
Hot Prospect
TD Member

I think I have grown complacent with the GK position. I like Fabs but I feel I could get better production out of a world class keeper. Unfortunately Akinfeev just pulled into Old Trafford this year. And I dont particularly want to chase another "Ohmygod FM LEGEND~!!1@!"... So I might have to start looking for a young kid to groom.
Old 18-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #36
Track Monkey
Rolling Contract
TD Member

I’ve now just started my third season.

In my second year I brought in Ochoa for £10m and he’s done very well indeed. With Fabianski as back-up I’m very happy with the goalkeeping situation.

In defence there was no change in personnel. However, Troare usurped Clichy as first choice leftback. I nearly lost Traore though as the chairman accepted a bid of £15m over my head from Sevilla. I managed to keep him though by offering him to other clubs – Roma bid £10m which the chairman didn’t accept. I did accept it, Traore decided to join them, so I cancelled it at the last minute!

In midfield I brought in Matias Fernandez and Yuri Zhirkov to fight out the left wing position. Both did well and provided a lot of assists.

Upfront I bought Aguero for about £30m because Gyan Asamoah chose Sevilla over me and that wiped out my transfer funds for the year.

In terms of competitions I won the league and FA Cup again and unfortunately lost the CL final to Porto of all teams.

This pre-season I’ve had a mini-clearout. Rosicky went to Sevilla for £18m. He hadn’t been playing much because of the success of Fernandez and Zhirkov. I managed to get £12.25m for Diarra from Portsmouth after he’d spent the season out on loan at Villareal. Senderos went to Valencia for £13m. Meanwhile Huntelaar left to Sevilla (all my transfers seems to be either to or from them!) for £22m. From these profits I signed Daniel Alves for £30m and finally got Asamoah Gyan for about £17m. At the back I signed a Colombian from Udinese who’s name escapes me right now. He’s only 22 and a bit quicker than Senderos so I was happy to get him. I also signed Cana on a Bosman. Finally I signed an 18 year old striker from Inter for £26m. I think that was a bit silly though! Time will tell…

My obvious aim for this season is the title again as well as the Champions League. I’ve revamped my system somewhat to be more attacking because I was struggling to break teams down at the end of last season. Annoyingly though, I still can’t get the best out of Fabregas. Any hints on how best to deploy him?

Anyway, he’s my squad (players in brackets only really used as back-up):

GK: Ochoa (/Fabianski)
WBR: Alves/Sagna(/Eboue)
WBL: Traore/Clichy/Zhirkov
DC: Toure/Djourou
DC: Gallas/New guy
DM: Cana/Mudingayi(/Gilberto)
MC: Fabregas/Diaby
MC: Hleb/Matias Fernandez
AMC: Aguero/VDV/Van Persie
FC: Gyan/Adebayor/Young Italian guy
FC: Adebayor/ Van Persie

I’ve probably forgotten someone. The likes of Song, Denilson, Vela and Bendtner were sent out on loan again.
Old 19-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #37
Mazuuurk
International
TD Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Monkey View Post
Iíve now just started my third season.

In my second year I brought in Ochoa for £10m and heís done very well indeed. With Fabianski as back-up Iím very happy with the goalkeeping situation.

In defence there was no change in personnel. However, Troare usurped Clichy as first choice leftback. I nearly lost Traore though as the chairman accepted a bid of £15m over my head from Sevilla. I managed to keep him though by offering him to other clubs Ė Roma bid £10m which the chairman didnít accept. I did accept it, Traore decided to join them, so I cancelled it at the last minute!

In midfield I brought in Matias Fernandez and Yuri Zhirkov to fight out the left wing position. Both did well and provided a lot of assists.

Upfront I bought Aguero for about £30m because Gyan Asamoah chose Sevilla over me and that wiped out my transfer funds for the year.

In terms of competitions I won the league and FA Cup again and unfortunately lost the CL final to Porto of all teams.

This pre-season Iíve had a mini-clearout. Rosicky went to Sevilla for £18m. He hadnít been playing much because of the success of Fernandez and Zhirkov. I managed to get £12.25m for Diarra from Portsmouth after heíd spent the season out on loan at Villareal. Senderos went to Valencia for £13m. Meanwhile Huntelaar left to Sevilla (all my transfers seems to be either to or from them!) for £22m. From these profits I signed Daniel Alves for £30m and finally got Asamoah Gyan for about £17m. At the back I signed a Colombian from Udinese whoís name escapes me right now. Heís only 22 and a bit quicker than Senderos so I was happy to get him. I also signed Cana on a Bosman. Finally I signed an 18 year old striker from Inter for £26m. I think that was a bit silly though! Time will tellÖ

My obvious aim for this season is the title again as well as the Champions League. Iíve revamped my system somewhat to be more attacking because I was struggling to break teams down at the end of last season. Annoyingly though, I still canít get the best out of Fabregas. Any hints on how best to deploy him?
Anyway, heís my squad (players in brackets only really used as back-up):

GK: Ochoa (/Fabianski)
WBR: Alves/Sagna(/Eboue)
WBL: Traore/Clichy/Zhirkov
DC: Toure/Djourou
DC: Gallas/New guy
DM: Cana/Mudingayi(/Gilberto)
MC: Fabregas/Diaby
MC: Hleb/Matias Fernandez
AMC: Aguero/VDV/Van Persie
FC: Gyan/Adebayor/Young Italian guy
FC: Adebayor/ Van Persie

Iíve probably forgotten someone. The likes of Song, Denilson, Vela and Bendtner were sent out on loan again.

I can see your problem with Fabregas. He plays well for me but he doesn't do anything extravagant. I think you need to see him for what he is - a box-to-box midfielder, and with those concistency is really what you want! I use him as the more attacking one in a flat 4-4-2, together with De Rossi or Cana as DM. I normally rotate Fabregas with Pirlo who, despite being a DMC, is sort of similar, if not as good. Fabregas does well, has an average of about exactly 7 but not more which is good but not terrific seing as he is a world-class midfielder, what really beats me is how he never gets any assists, his amount of goals is acceptable. My theory however is that my wingers are so good they take care of that themselves, being Silva and Ronaldo. I don't focuss my passing through them they just seem to get the ball anyway. With them providing the assists I'm happy to have Fabregas go back and fourth and score the occational goal.
Old 24-12-2007, 01:05 AM   #38
shane_man
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Ok... Season 4 is completed...

RECAP TIME~!

Transfers

League Table

Squad

Take from that what you will... Though after a successful year like that. Im considering moving on at the conclusion of my current contract(i think it runs out in 2012... Might move to Spain. My name has been linked to a few clubs in both Spain and Italy...
Old 24-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #39
Shankly Gates - Liam
The next Maxim Tsigalko
TD Member

Managing: Liverpool
Season: 2007-08
Division: Premier League
Star Player: Fernando Torres
Shankly Gates - Liam is on a distinguished road

Just finished my 1st season with the super gunners

won the league cup against spurs, finished 3rd in the league, but managed to beat Man United 1-0 in the Champions LEague final, after brilliant results against Inter and Real in the quarters and semi's.

Adebayor and MArtins formed a great partnership upfront, with Van PErsie on the left supplying 29 assists!!

Denilson is coming into his own, and i managed to get Pablo and Maxi Rodriguez and Wagner Love on Bosmans end of season.

I also managed to sign Daniel Alves, Garay, Craig Gordon, Sergio Aguero, Micah Richards, and with Carlos Vela coming back off loan, ive got one hell of a squad!!!

got some greta youth too, a cracking youngster rated as one of the best of his generation that i'll be blooding as best i can
"Last season I counted four fingers at them for the number of European Cups Liverpool had won. Next time, I can just stick my whole hand up." - Robbie Fowler on THAT celebration to the Man United fans
Shankly Gates - Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #40
Armand

I like the 5-4 win over Tottenham at the Lane, shane_man.
Old 29-12-2007, 07:21 PM   #41
Haz
TD's Favourite Ginger
TD Member

I'm back at Arsenal for another game, after failing to get interested in a couple of other saves.

Made just the one signing, Angelo Palombo for 13m from Samp, to replace Gilberto who took his ageing legs off to Real for 10m. Also out of the door went Senderos (4m to Pompey), Song (3.6m to Man City) and Theo Walcott (Sunderland on loan).

I'm trying out a 4-2-2-2 setup with Hleb and Rosicky behind two central strikers. Fabregas links play and Palombo does the dirty defensive work. The two full backs, Sagna and Clichy, provide the width.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:04 AM   #42
shane_man
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand View Post
I like the 5-4 win over Tottenham at the Lane, shane_man.
When I get my PC fixed AGAIN~! I will post the match(as it should still be in the memory...)... I cant remember the full details of the match but it must have been swank...
Old 01-01-2008, 10:51 AM   #43
Haz
TD's Favourite Ginger
TD Member

Just a little update on my Arsenal game-

I'm into March (1st season) and things are going brilliantly well. We're top of the table by 7 points, with a game in hand. Into the Champion's League Quarters, where we'll play Man Utd. And through to the FA Cup Semi Final, where we've got Aston Villa (and with West Brom and Fulham the other semi-finalists we've got an excellent chance of walking it).

My 4-2-2-2 has been a roaring success - we've been playing some really quality football. Particularly thriving are Eduardo (24 goals in 30 games so far), Hleb and Rosicky (high up the assists charts and both have at least 5 goals to their name), and Bakary Sagna - highest average rating in the league and recently scored his first goal for the club, chipping the keeper from the edge of the area.

Most disappointing is Adebayor, who is pretty hit and miss - scored 15 goals so far but misses too many chances for my liking. I may cash in on him in the summer and use Vela instead.

Just two more players arrived in January to join Angelo Palombo - Anton Sosnin from Zenit (90k) and Juan Roman Riquelme from Villarreal (1.2m). Sosnin looks promising and will be playing in Belgium for a few years to get a work permit, while Riquelme was an opportunity I just couldn't resist. He's finding his feet in the Premiership now that he's fitter than when he arrvied.

I'll update at the end of the season, but things are looking good so far.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #44
Haz
TD's Favourite Ginger
TD Member

Arsenal Season Review, 2007-08

First season over, and it was far more successful that I ever could have hoped for. The players adapted remarkably quickly to my new 4-2-2-2 system and we played some brilliant football at times.

League: 1st
After a reasonable start, we hit a long patch of successive wins before Christmas to move up to top spot. From then on we never looked like being knocked off top spot and eventually finished 10 points clear of Chelsea, with 93 points. We lost only 3 games, all of which were 1-0s which we dominated but failed to score in - and were against sides we'd normally beat (Birmingham, Reading and Aston Villa, all at the Emirates strangely).

Champion's League: Winners
We qualified easily and after strolling through a group with Schalke, Anderlecht and Sparta Prague, we drew Marseille in the first KO Round. They were beaten 7-3 overall, thanks to a brilliant 5-3 victory in France in the first leg. Then came Man United, and again an impressive first leg away victory (3-0 at Old Trafford) saw us comfortably through.
Inter were our Semi-Final opponents and after losing 1-0 in Milan I worried about the return leg where an away goal for them would give us serious problems. However, there was no such problem as a wonderful performance saw us qualify for the final, 3-1 on aggregate.
Real Madrid were our fellow finalists and despite missing Gallas and Palombo, we beat them 3-1 thanks to goals from Van Persie (2) and Adebayor.

FA Cup: Winners
Strangely we avoided the other big 3 sides from the Premiership and so it was comfortable all the way to the final where we played Fulham. Despite expecting a straight forward victory, they led 2-0 at half time. A brilliant second half was needed and we got it, with Gallas and Toure both scoring from set pieces to take it to extra time. There we dominated before Tomas Rosicky won the Cup for us in the last minute of ET, firing home after Van Persie and Adebayor had missed sitters.

Carling Cup: 4th Round
The only black mark of the season. A weakened side struggled away to Sunderland before capitulating on penalties - we were leading 3-2 on goals until the last minute when a dodgy penalty took it to extra time. When penalties finally arrived, we missed 4/6 and they took advantage.

Player of the Season:

1- Eduardo
An excellent first season in England for the Croatian. He scored 26 in 32 starts, 22 of them in the league (finished league top scorer) and was ruthlessly clinical. His stats may not look world class and he's not as big a name as Shevchenko, Saha or Torres but he showed them all how it's done. Had he not strained his knee ligaments with a couple of months to go in the season he'd have hit at least 30 goals, of that I'm sure/

2- Aliaksandr Hleb and Tomas Rosicky
Played the same roles (switched sides occasionally) and ended up with similar ratings. Hleb got a few more assists (18 to Rosicky's 13) while Rosicky scored a few more goals (10 to 8) but together their movement and ability tore opposition defences apart. I pondered signing Van der Vaart or unsettling Kaka/Messi but with this pair playing as well as they are then why bother?

3- Gael Clichy and Bakary Sagna
Another pair who were brilliant together. Their pace and stamina was crucial in making my system work and they both chipped in with some vital assists. Dani Alves is unsettled at Sevilla but again, why bother?

Honourable mentions also go to William Gallas and Kolo Toure who were both rocks at the back, Angelo Palombo who impressed as Gilberto's younger replacement, Cesc Fabregas who linked play impeccably and scored a couple of screamers, and Robin Van Persie who created goals and scored them with the same style.

Disappointing was Emmanuel Adebayor who despite scoring 23 goals never really impressed. I'll give him another season but will be hoping for a bit more ruthlessness in front of goal.

Summer Transfer Targets:
Fairly straight forward really. I'm looking for:

-A young goalkeeper to eventually replace Lehmann as I'm unconvinced by Fabianski so far.
-A promising young centre back so that I'll have four specialised defenders.

Thats about it. No need to replace any of my big names - no one is upset or wanting a new challenge.

All is good in North London.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #45
Track Monkey
Rolling Contract
TD Member

I’m now in season 2013/14 and I’ve become the dominant force in England. I’ve had a lot on in and out goings every season, but right now I’m almost completely happy with my first team squad. It looks a little something like this:

GK: Ustari/Ochoa. Last season I also had Akinfeev, but sold him to Inter for £26m to make a £20m profit.
DR: Daniel Alves/Sagna. Both are 29 now, so I am on the lookout for a couple of longterm replacements
DL: Traore/Marcelo
DC: Zapata/Toure. Toure is now 32 and coming to the end of his useful life (his pace is down to 15) so I’m looking at replacements, possibly Garay or a regen.
DC: Corluka/Djourou
MC: Lucas/Ducasse/Denilson
MC: Fabregas/Nasri
AMR: C Ronaldo/Walcott/Hleb
AML: Matias Fernandez/Trechiarchi (sp)/Barbero (regen)
FC: Gyan/Adebayor/Balotelli
FC: Aguero/Vela/Saivet

As you can see, not many of the original squad remain. I rotate my squad an awful lot and almost everyone gets an equal amount of games, but the first names for each position above would be my preferred starting XI. If you’re interested in where an of the original members of the squad are and how much I sold them for then let me know and I’ll get back to you.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #46
Mazuuurk
International
TD Member

I have been very occupied with FM Live lately and hence haven't been up to much of the old Gunning, but to give you all a little update:

My current season looks as one of the best FM seasons in the league that I have ever had really. Never mind my tactics or anything, I think I've just managed to assemble a squad that is so good noone else can cope with it. My current squad is (1st 11/2nd 11)

Gordon/Ochoa

Alves/Ilsinho Toure/Sakho Djourou/Tuia Marcelo/Clichy

C. Ronaldo/Belluschi Cesc/Anderson De Rossi/Cana Silva/Quaresma

AgŁero/Vela Rooney/Bendtner/Bojan

I'm some 16-20 points clear of Chelsea with about 1/3 of the season left.
The only cloud on the bright Emirates Stadium sky is the broken leg of world-class midfielder De Rossi, but who cares when the other teams hardly ever even get around to attacking me
Old 03-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #47
Track Monkey
Rolling Contract
TD Member

Quote:
I have been very occupied with FM Live lately and hence haven't been up to much of the old Gunning, but to give you all a little update:

My current season looks as one of the best FM seasons in the league that I have ever had really. Never mind my tactics or anything, I think I've just managed to assemble a squad that is so good noone else can cope with it. My current squad is (1st 11/2nd 11)

Gordon/Ochoa

Alves/Ilsinho Toure/Sakho Djourou/Tuia Marcelo/Clichy

C. Ronaldo/Belluschi Cesc/Anderson De Rossi/Cana Silva/Quaresma

AgŁero/Vela Rooney/Bendtner/Bojan

I'm some 16-20 points clear of Chelsea with about 1/3 of the season left.
The only cloud on the bright Emirates Stadium sky is the broken leg of world-class midfielder De Rossi, but who cares when the other teams hardly ever even get around to attacking me
Fair play - that's much the same as mine. I reckon my team could take yours though
Old 03-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #48
radiohead_1
Promising Youngster
TD Member

Managing: Southampton
Season: 2018
Division: English Premier
radiohead_1 is a splendid one to beholdradiohead_1 is a splendid one to behold

Just about finished the 2009-2010 season with the gunners.
On pace to win the CL, Premiership, FA Cup, and the Carling Cup.

My squad at the moment looks like (4-2-1-2-1):
GK: Akinfeev (Fabianski as backup)
DL: Guilherme/Pineda
DR: Eboue/Ryan Taylor
DC: Breno/Gallas/Senderos
DMC: Gilberto/Banega/Denilson/Poulsen
MC: Fabregas
AMC: Vela/Van Persie/Aimar/Eduardo
ST: Owen/Abedayor

I've got Ronaldinho coming in, too! only took 35M. Once I get a replacement CB for Gallas (getting up there), I'll be set. I'm looking at Barzagli or Terry.

Of all the years playing CM/FM, I've NEVER been able to land Ronaldinho. But, he has only made 6 sub appearances this season (who doesn't PLAY him?), so I had to go for it.
radiohead_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #49
Mazuuurk
International
TD Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead_1 View Post
Of all the years playing CM/FM, I've NEVER been able to land Ronaldinho. But, he has only made 6 sub appearances this season (who doesn't PLAY him?), so I had to go for it.
Rikjaard doesn't
Old 07-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #50
shane_man
Hot Prospect
TD Member

How the hell did you guys land C.Ronaldo??? I tried to nab him in the first season but havent tried since. Though normally United just sit there and blow rasberries at me when I try and sign one of there players...

The Dugout Football Manager Community > All FM/CM Games > General Discussion > Football Manager 2008