The Dugout Football Manager Community

Go Back   The Dugout Football Manager Community > All FM/CM Games > General Discussion > Football Manager 2007

Notices

Old 14-07-2009, 05:21 AM   #1
farina
Decent Youngster
TD Member

Managing: Exeter City
Season: 2013/14
farina is on a distinguished road

Default Lone striker attributes

I'm currently playing as Exeter and won promotions to League One with a 4-4-2 formation. I'm planning to switch to 4-1-4-1 in the future and I'm wondering what attributes my lone striker would need. I have the feeling none of my current strikers really fit the bill (James Sinclair, Armand One, Lee Phillips).
farina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
rivaldo
Reserve Team Player
TD Member

Managing: Partizan
Season: 2109/10
Division: JSL
Position: 1
rivaldo will become famous soon enough

My experiences are that when playing 1 striker, it is best to use him as a targetman. I think the most important is that he knows how to behave off the ball and also that he has good positioning.
Then again, it depends, what type of striker he is (my guessing):

being tall: heading, strength, jumping
being fast: pace, acceleration, first touch
rivaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
creigo
Reserve Team Player
TD Member

Managing: Rossendale Utd
Season: 09/10
Division: E.N.P.L.F.D.N
Star Player: Rhodri Giggs
creigo is on a distinguished road

Don't forget strength. Ball being played into feet requires this attribute to hold the ball up well.
Old 14-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
farina
Decent Youngster
TD Member

Thanks for the replies. So I guess all types of targetman would work in a 4-1-4-1?
Old 14-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
Pen
Motherland's Finest
TD Member

Pen is a name known to allPen is a name known to allPen is a name known to allPen is a name known to allPen is a name known to allPen is a name known to allPen is a name known to allPen is a name known to allPen is a name known to allPen is a name known to all

Depends on your tactic and what kind of players do you have elsewhere. I personally wouldnt opt for a such defensive tactic as they seldom work aswell as some sort of counter attacking/deep lying tactics.
Pen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
Vandrell
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Managing: Sampdoria
Season: 2007
Division: Seria A
Vandrell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penaldo Venaldo View Post
Depends on your tactic and what kind of players do you have elsewhere. I personally wouldnt opt for a such defensive tactic as they seldom work aswell as some sort of counter attacking/deep lying tactics.
Agreed. I would go with something a bit more attacking aswell. On the lone striker note, any sort of TM will do the trick. Just make sure you have the right type i.e a hesky or a shearer
Vandrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
farina
Decent Youngster
TD Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penaldo Venaldo View Post
In this game with Exeter I usually don't play low, nor counter-attacking. I do try to stifle the opponent establish control over the game.
Old 16-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
Okakaka
Promising Youngster
TD Member

Managing: Juventus
Division: Serie A
Star Player: Bonucci
Okakaka is on a distinguished road

The best answer to this question of what attributes a lone striker needs is attributes that compliment the rest of your team. Let's say you play 4-5-1 with a holding DMC and flat 4 in midfield. If you have a playmaking MC who threads through balls for your frontman then he should be pacey to get in behind the defence. If your central midfield is combative but your wingers and fullbacks are your main attacking threats then a frontman who is good in the air will work better as he will get onto their crosses. That's the point of it being a team, your lone striker is the sharp end of the attack but he should compliment the players behind him and fit into the team. Basically it depends on how your team play.

Essential stats are strength, off the ball, positioning and first touch as you need him to be able to win and hold onto the ball in good areas.

Any striker should be a decent finisher for the standard your playing at (ie. a champions league qualified side should be looking for 15+ in finishing, composure and technique or as close to as possible). If your then going for a pacey striker then dribbling would be a useful attribute, whereas a target man forward would require better heading, jumping etc.

Good lone strikers:

Fernando Torres
Gyan Asamoah
Carlos Vela
Iaquinta
Klaas Jan Huntelaar
Salvatore Foti

Only ones I have had experience with that aren't regens that I can think of. Gyan Asamoah was unreal for me! Legend!

GK - Buffon
WBR - Isla
DRC - Bonucci
DCC - Bochetti
DLC - Chiellini
WBL - De Ceglie
DMC - Asamoah
MCR - Marchisio
MCL - Vidal
STR - Giovinco
STL - Llorente

SUBS: Ospina, Lichsteiner, Rugani, Marrone, Poli, Pogba, Traore
Okakaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
Pen
Motherland's Finest
TD Member

Pen is a name known to allPen is a name known to allPen is a name known to allPen is a name known to allPen is a name known to allPen is a name known to allPen is a name known to allPen is a name known to allPen is a name known to allPen is a name known to all

Only problem with those players is that they might not be interested in joining Exeter in league 1.
Old 16-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
Okakaka
Promising Youngster
TD Member

Managing: Juventus
Division: Serie A
Star Player: Bonucci
Okakaka is on a distinguished road

Very true, but look at the attributes of those players and try to find a scaled down version who can be the Torres/Asamoah/Huntelaar of League 1, that's the challenge!

GK - Buffon
WBR - Isla
DRC - Bonucci
DCC - Bochetti
DLC - Chiellini
WBL - De Ceglie
DMC - Asamoah
MCR - Marchisio
MCL - Vidal
STR - Giovinco
STL - Llorente

SUBS: Ospina, Lichsteiner, Rugani, Marrone, Poli, Pogba, Traore
Okakaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #11
Pen
Motherland's Finest
TD Member

Luke Varney would be brilliant for a lone striker, but I doubt he would join Exeter either. Ääritalo might be worth a shout.
Old 17-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #12
kidnap23
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Managing: Clermont
Season: 2019/20
Division: Ligue 1
Star Player: Arturo Vidal
kidnap23 is on a distinguished road

I call for Marco Paolo Rebelo-Lopes. He joined my Dusseldorf in regionalliga (equal league 1 in England) Good tall target man for low league.
kidnap23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #13
farina
Decent Youngster
TD Member

I think I found a good man for to be 'to feet' targetman. He's called Ibrahimovic. Not the Swedish international, mind you, but a Slovenian. First touch, off the ball, composure, strength, pace, jumping, dribbling, technique, finishing are all at 12 or above. The really beautiful part he's still playing in League 2 (scored 10 in 15 games) and his contract is ending this season.

Last edited by farina; 19-07-2009 at 09:03 PM.

The Dugout Football Manager Community > All FM/CM Games > General Discussion > Football Manager 2007