The Dugout Football Manager Community

Go Back   The Dugout Football Manager Community > All FM/CM Games > Football Manager 2012 > Tactics and Training

Notices

Old 28-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
coolcup69
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Managing: Man Utd
Season: 2015/16
Division: EPL
Position: 1
Star Player: Rooney
coolcup69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Default Sweeper

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone actually uses the sweeper position or has ever managed to use it successfully? I am trying to build a 5-3-2 with a sweeper and wingbacks but am about to give up. The sweeper is retarded.

Cheers
coolcup69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
askj
Rolling Contract
TD Member

Managing: Chelsea
Season: 12/13
Star Player: Mata
askj can only hope to improve

Don't give up, it is defensively solid.

Look for a FM2012 implentation of the Catenaccio tactic.

Also, you could use a tactic from Raikan007 that you can find on FM Base with the libero. Just move the fullbacks to Wingbacks, and the widemids to wingers.

Last edited by EA; 02-04-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Linked to FM Base removed
askj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
coolcup69
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Thanks askj, I'll have a look. I agree it is solid defensively, I am just having real trouble offensively.

The other issue is that not many regens are sweepers, so it becomes harder to play longer term!
Old 28-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
askj
Rolling Contract
TD Member

Managing: Chelsea
Season: 12/13
Star Player: Mata
askj can only hope to improve

Strong Centrebacks/DMC also make good sweepers. for a good sweeper you need strong strength, aerobic, tactics, and defending. A centreback would only need to really highly train in strength and defending (and some aerobic).

The reason I know this is I have a god-like regen coming through my academy. He has M/DM/D (c) as natural, which gave me the idea of turning him into a team destroying defender (aka the sweeper).

TBH, I don't think any regens are sweepers.
askj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
Il Fuce
RE - SPECT - WALK
TD Member

Il Fuce is a name known to allIl Fuce is a name known to allIl Fuce is a name known to allIl Fuce is a name known to allIl Fuce is a name known to allIl Fuce is a name known to allIl Fuce is a name known to all

I've used it as a defensive method with 2 centre backs in front, works well for cover. Doesn't seem to work with just 1 centreback infront as they just occupy the same space and seemingly get in each others way.

Experimented in the odd match with a libero, but nothing long term you know.
Old 28-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Tommo
Due For Testimonial
TD Member

Tommo is a name known to allTommo is a name known to allTommo is a name known to allTommo is a name known to allTommo is a name known to allTommo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcup69 View Post
Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone actually uses the sweeper position or has ever managed to use it successfully? I am trying to build a 5-3-2 with a sweeper and wingbacks but am about to give up. The sweeper is retarded.

Cheers
I'm using a very similar tactic with my Atalanta side, it's defensively very good. I conceded the least amount of goal in the league last year. I use three CB's and have the middle one with lower mentality which means he drops further back than the other two.

Apart from the Sweeper being retarded what issues do you have with it?
Tommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
Chrissy
Post Partum
TD Member

Chrissy is a name known to allChrissy is a name known to allChrissy is a name known to allChrissy is a name known to allChrissy is a name known to allChrissy is a name known to allChrissy is a name known to allChrissy is a name known to allChrissy is a name known to all

Awards Showcase
The Dugout Premier League Winner - FM14 
Total Awards: 1

The sweeper has been made redundant in modern football by the Deep Lying midfielder in my honest opinion.

However with regard to the game, FM12 that is, I would say that a good sweeper can only be used if you are willing to commit to certain principles:

- Offside is an afterthought.
- You will set your team to defend deeply.
- Your sweeper is not being played there for the sake of it.

With regards to the position itself, there are generically two types of sweeper. those that are used to start attackes and compose the defence and those that are used to break up play and are the last line of defence. A great sweeper does both.

In terms of player attributes it depends entirely on how you want your team to play.

In a best case scenario you wnat a player with the usual desired ball playing CB stats with additonal focus on the players influence, off the ball, composure and concentration stats
Chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
NickT
Hot Prospect
TD Member

NickT is on a distinguished road

I've had a pretty good experience with the Libero role. They get a lot of interceptions, some of which being quite high up the pitch. Not really used a pure sweeper though.

The biggest issue with the position is that very few players are actually trained in it, let alone good at it.
NickT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
coolcup69
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo View Post

Apart from the Sweeper being retarded what issues do you have with it?
I guess I did not expect so many people to have used a system with a sweeper and successfully too, so I didn't put more details - apologies.

As I said my system is a 5-3-2 with wingbacks, 3 CMs and 2 strikers. The defensive philosophy is to dominate the centre with the CMs and CBs, and force the opposition down the flanks where crosses can be dealt with relatively easily by my back central 3. The sweeper sits behind the two CBs to snuff out any danger, and the CBs are fairly aggressive forcing the opposition into loose passes which the sweeper hunts down. This works fine.

The attacking philosophy is to have the Sweeper act as a playmaker. He usually is the ball winner and I am trying to use him as the axis of the team. He will get the ball play sensible passes, and recycle possession to and from his team-mates and move the play up the field. He will be an outlet in case more aggressive players (midfielders, wingbacks) get caught by a marker. The idea is that he never gets caught on the ball and allows retention of possession.

The problem. I can't ever get the sweeper involved enough. The ball tends to move up the field far too quickly for him to keep up with the play. I have tried to reduce the tempo, demand very short passing from the team, give him a very attacking mentality, ask him to make forward runs, but nothing will allow him to stay in step with the play. The result is that we lose the ball often up the field and he doesn't ever really become the "pivot" that I want him to be.
Old 29-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
Tommo
Due For Testimonial
TD Member

Tommo is a name known to allTommo is a name known to allTommo is a name known to allTommo is a name known to allTommo is a name known to allTommo is a name known to all

Try setting the wing backs, defensive midfielders and the two other centre backs to 'hold up ball'.
Tommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
coolcup69
Hot Prospect
TD Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
Try setting the wing backs, defensive midfielders and the two other centre backs to 'hold up ball'.
Fair call. Good idea. Will try and see.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
EA
Squad Rotation
TD Member

Managing: Valencia
Season: 2021/22
Division: La Liga
EA has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by askj View Post
Don't give up, it is defensively solid.

Look for a FM2012 implentation of the Catenaccio tactic.

Also, you could use a tactic from Raikan007 that you can find on FM Base with the libero. Just move the fullbacks to Wingbacks, and the widemids to wingers.
Askj. I've only just spotted your earlier post. I have edited it removing the link to FM Base. People have had a couple of days to have a look anyway before I moderated but just linking to downloads on other FM sites is discouraged. Please note. Better to discuss the theory within this thread and stick to download links (if necessary) hosted from this site.

Thanks forward.
EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
Playerslacker
Reserve Team Player
TD Member

Managing: Leeds united
Season: 11/12
Division: Premiership
Star Player: leo bustos
Playerslacker is an unknown quantity at this point

quick tip training your centrebacks as sweepers makes them better defenders .. well works for me anyway
Playerslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
pablovigo
Trialist
TD Member

pablovigo is on a distinguished road

I have been tempted to use a sweeper tactic, and this time I'm already preparing a defensive tactic with 5 defenders.
For the central CB, I have been thinking of using him as sweeper, or maybe as BPD and twich him a bit so that he acts a bit more Sweeper-like.

The disadvantage of the sweeper is that you have to retrain a CB or a DM, whilst if you use the CB position you already have several quality players to choose from without need of retraining (which takes 10% of training workload).
Another option is modifying a DM-DLP.
That's why I like the 4231, many times the DM-duo will blend with the CBs when defending, and when in possesion they recycle position a lot, and they also give hell to the opposition creative central midfielders, and their cost is reasonable in the game, I usually find good DMs for a reasonable price and wage.

That's why every season I end up discarding experimenting the sweeper tactic. I get too lazy to retrain 2 players (main and sub) and changing stuff around, but maybe this time I try it.
pablovigo is offline   Reply With Quote

The Dugout Football Manager Community > All FM/CM Games > Football Manager 2012 > Tactics and Training